In 1849, four Sisters of Charity founded St. Vincent's as a 30-bed hospital in a small brick house on 13th Street. St. Vincent's served the poor as one of the few charity hospitals in New York City.
The flagship, and now last remaining hospital of the St. Vincents Medical Catholic Medical Center group, was a 758 bed teaching hospital, as well as a Level 1 Trauma Center. Located at 7th Avenue and Greenwich Avenue in Manhattan, it has served the Greenwich Village community with distinction for 160 years.
Among the hospitals many notable achievemants was the nations first Mobile Coronary Care Unit in 1968. See William Grace MD
Unable to resolve its financial problems, the hospital ceased accepting emergency patients on April 12,2010 as it began phasing out admissions in anticipation of closing its doors on April 30,2010. The closing also ends the hospitals over 100 years of providing emergency ambulance to lower Manhattan., as well as its long established EMT and Paramedic training institute.Also see http://www.emsmuseum.org/virtual-museum/history/articles/398198-1968-William-Grace-MD