New York Gas Light Company was founded in 1823 in New York City, providing a distribution system for both home and streetlight posts. In 1884, six other gas distribution companies joined to form Consolidated Gas Company of NY.
Thomas Alva Edison- The Wizard of Menlo Park- invented the first incandescent light bulb in 1879. Recognizing the benefit to mankind, as well as the commercial potential, he went on to design and patent an electrical distribution system. In 1878, Edison formed the Edison Electric Light Company in New York City, followed by the Edison Illuminating Company in 1880. On September 4, 1882, Edison switched on his Pearl Street generating station's electrical power distribution system, which provided 110 volts direct current to 59 customers in lower Manhattan.
By 1920, New York Edison became part of Consolidated Gas and then in 1936, as electrical use began to significantly replace gaslighting, the name was changed to Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. Con Ed, as it is commonly known to New Yorkers, provides gas, electric, and high pressure steam service to Manhattan buildings.
With the widespresd use of early gas, and then elecric power, came the new life hazards of gas leaks, carbon monoxide poisoning, and electrocution. In an effort to respond to these emergencies, Consolidaed Gas began staffing emergency response units with the Pulmotor Resuscitator.
The New York City Police Department initiated its Emergency Service Units in 1926, performing physical rescue as well enhanced manpower as a riot response unit. NYPD Emergency Service Unit History .
NYPD also was concerned with training members of the department to respond to the new risks as indicated in the document below:
Keywords: Pulmotor, Resuscitation, NYPD, New York, Gas, Electric
Last Revision Date: 10/31/10 - 6:46 PM